Shared hosting is the less expensive and share one server with other websites. Resources are limited but can maintain a small website without spending too much money. VPS hosting gives greater freedom and performance but at a higher cost.
Shared hosting is a basic form of web hosting. Each website shares the same resources like hard disk storage, computing power, RAM, bandwidth and database server.
Advantages of Shared Hosting.
- Lower cost of ownership.
- Great for beginners that need a website for personal use or a small business.
- There is virtually no maintenance or management needed for your site. Updates and security are handled by the provider.
Disadvantages of Shared Hosting.
- Specific website security concerns with the potential of malware and viruses.
- Shared hosting customers have limited access to server resources as these are distributed among all the websites on the server.
- Customizations are limited. Root access to a shared hosting server is typically not allowed and certain software or plugin installations can be limited.
Virtual private server (VPS) hosting is a more flexible option compared to shared hosting. Each customer has access to an independent space on the server, also called a virtual machine, with its own set of resources that they can use to host websites.
VPS solutions are unique environments that can be customized to meet the user’s needs. VPS hosting offers you your own operating system, dedicated server resources and root access, so you can install any software and customize the server as you like. It is not a dedicated server but is similar in the way of available resources.
Advantages of VPS Hosting.
- It offers more control. This includes having root access to the server, installing your own software and programs.
- Better performance is typically experiences with VPS hosting. VPS hosting comes equipped with higher-end server hardware, providing a faster and more efficient distribution of resources for your web projects. In addition, these resources are fully dedicated to your website, allowing you to partition them as you require.
- It’s cost-effective compared to dedicated hosting. Dedicated hosting can cost as much as $250+ / month. VPS hosting plans can still be cost effective for many individuals and small businesses.
Disadvantages of Hosting.
- Technical knowledge and experience is a benefit to utilizing your own VPS. Some providers offer turnkey solutions to keep management to a minimum.
- Management and maintenance plans can be expensive along with other needed customizations. However if an issue with the VPS arises, you have the ability to address and resolve the problem yoursefl.
In most situations, shared hosting is the right solution for individuals or smaller businesses who prefer low maintenance, ease of use and lower costs. If you are looking to grow, expand or have an E-Commerce solution that requires more resources then you should consider a VPS solution.
Connect with us to explore your hosting requirements.